john herr psychologist los gatos saratoga california

On Sabbatical

Vaso-Vagal Discussion

[ Home | Contents | Search | Post | Reply | Next | Previous | Up ]

Vaso-Vagal Syndrome

From: Evelyn W.
Date: 9/8/99
Time: 9:56:33 PM
Remote Name:


I am so glad that there are others out there who have also experienced the frustration of not being listened to by their doctors, when you know something is not right. I had my first fainting episode three years ago at the age of 18 and they continue to this day. They occur infrequently and unexpectedly, and until now I thought I would live out the rest of my life with this syndrome. I was finally given the true diagnosis of v-v syndrome about three weeks ago. I cannot tell you how many specialists I saw and how many times I was dismissed as being perfectly healthy and someone who was just "prone to fainting". I saw a neurologist who took my complaints seriously and did an extensive work up of tests to rule out heart problems. When all was said and done it turned out to be v-v syncope. However the good news is I have a treatment plan, she has put me on a new SSRI which has been shown to be effective on others with this problem. I take it once a day and have not had an episode yet, I can't say its a cure yet, but it is something and it definitely makes me feel more assured that I will get through this. If you have been told by your doctor that you are fine and not too worry, find someone else who will take you seriously, there is no reason why at the age of 21 I should have to worry about this. Good luck to everyone else out there and I would love to hear your experiences!

V V and anesthesia

From: Phyllis


I have fainted off and on for 40 years. I fainted in school and public places so many times, I became paranoid I would faint. I usually was unconscious for about 7 - 10 minutes. By this time everyone was in a panic. Then I would wake feeling fine, except for the times I hit my head and had to have stitches. In 1994 I was having arthroscopic surgery on my knee. All at once the anesthesiologist notice I was in "unsustained ventricular tachycardia." I was hit with a shot of lydocaine and came out of it just before they were to put shock paddles on me. I was sent to have a tilt table test at Ohio State University. I started feeling the warmth and blurred vision after 42 minutes. My Blood pressure was 40/p when they brought me up. They said I had an attack of Vaso Vegal during the surgery while under anesthesia.That broght on the cardio inhibatory response.I actually had fainted under anesthesic. I was then prescribed a low dose of Atenol, and I have not had an episode now for eight years. It is wonderful not being afraid I will faint. Phyllis


On Sabbatical!

When my office lease expired at the end of 2004, I decided to turn it into a "sabbatical" from my private practice. Many years ago, in my grandfather's 89th year of life, he told me, "John, it is important to smell the roses while you can still smell them." His life gave living a very good reputation. It is also true that the pursuit of that philosophy required my grandfather to to re-open his assay office/ore market in Wickenburg, Arizona as a 75-year-old because he had run a little short of retirement money. Thus, if blessed with his luck and health, I'll be back.. --jjh

Copyright 1998-2007  John J. Herr, Ph.D.                                   Please send comments to