Vaso-Vagal Discussion

[ Home | Contents | Search | Post | Reply | Next | Previous | Up ]

Re: vaso-vagal syncopy

From: Tracy C. in Wisconsin 5-18-04


Hi Ken, I read your article and thought you may benefit from some more input that may help you. I am 29 yrs. od and was diagnosed with Syncopy in Feb. 2003. I have only one episode where I was walking through my diningroom and the next thing I remember is waking up & looking under my diningroom table. I did not have any prior symptoms etc. I went to the doctor and had a brain scan, several e.k.g.'s, full body x-rays and bloodwork done. The conclusion from all of this was that everything was fine, other than that I learned I have a slight heart murmor.) I was told that I should check in with my doctor in a couple of days if anything else happend. I spoke with my doctor a couple of days later who refered me to a heart doctor for some more tests. One of the tests that was performed that day was called a tilt table test. The day I went in for the test I was told to lay down on a table and my blood pressure was monitored for awhile. It was noted that my blood pressure seemed quite lower than normal (130/64) normal is 120/80 range. (This is odd because I have high blood pressure) I was then strapped to the table and the whole bed tipped up in almost a complete verticle position so that my head was down by the floor. I was left like that for a minute or two, and then the bed was tilted completely the other way so I was standing on the floor still strapped to the bed. I was told that they were testing me for a nerve disorder called syncopy. I was told that I would need to stand there for 20 minutes. If I passed out at any time I was positive for the disorder. The doctor sat in a chair opposite where I was standind and just observed me, asked how I was feeling etc. at 18 mins. I started to feel slightly dizzy and like I was getting short of breath, I remember my face felt flushed/hot and then cool/clammy. At 20 mins. I told the doctor my eye sight was blurring so the doctor told the nurse to leave me a couple of more minutes, at 22 minutes I passed out cold. I woke up not more than a minute later dizzy feeling, and fatigued. I tested positive for the disorder. To make a longer story short I returned to the doctor and he put me on a medication called propranolol used to treat syncopy. 10mg once a day for the rest of my life. Today is May 19, 2004 and I have not passed out since. If you haven't come up with the cause yet, I would ask for your doctor to set you up with that test, your symptoms are like mine were. I hope this helps you. Good Luck! Tracy in Wisconsin

This web site is not a substitute for a thorough medical evaluation and diagnosis of your vaso-vagal type symptoms.  Medical treatment and diagnosis is the only acceptable initial response to these serious symptoms since they might present from any number of life threatening and treatable illnesses. It is for you and your physician to rule out more serious illnesses; Please don't use this online forum as an alternative to getting responsible medical attention and being under the care of a physician for the duration of any unknown, suspected or dangerous vaso-vagal syndrome symptoms.
Last changed: June 22, 2007